California Travel tips and what to visit
Guide with information holiday in California, where it is, neighboring states, geography of the area and the coastal resorts, places to go and what to do.
California travel guide
California is an important western state of the United States of America, bordered by Oregon, Nevada and Arizona, Baja California, Pacific Ocean and the Colorado River. Joined Federated Union in 1850, California was based initially on agriculture and mining while later there was a significant industrial development that has led to an exponential increase in population.
The name comes from California to an island figment of the author of a popular novel Spanish era in which this land is described. California is located in the western part of the United States and is bathed by the Pacific Ocean.
Among the states of the USA is the one with the largest number of inhabitants who live mostly within a range of a few tens of miles from the ocean. Neighboring states are Oregon to the north, Nevada to the east, Arizona to the southeast and south of the Mexican state of Baja California.
After Alaska and Texas ranks third among US states for territorial extension. California is geographically very varied with the Central Valley at the center, the mountains of the coast to the west, the Sierra Nevada to the east, the Cascade Range to the north and the Tehachapi Mountains in the south.
In the Central Valley is highly developed agriculture. The Sierra Nevada includes Mount Whitney, which with its 4421 meters above sea level is the highest mountain in the United States, the famous Yosemite National Park and Lake Tahoe which is a deep freshwater lake.
Along the coast there are metropolitan areas such as San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, Los Angeles-Long Beach, Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine and San Diego. This state is divided into various physical regions including the Central Valley, fertile alluvial valley, the chain of the Cascades, the Coastal chain interrupted by depressions in the Salinas Valley, the mountain ranges of the Transverse Ranges, the mountains Peninsular Ranges, the Southeast region , including desert areas and arid basins, the coast and the Sierra Nevada.
California’s climate is mostly Mediterranean with mild winters and summers are not too hot on the Pacific coast.
What to visit in California
The cities of greater importance are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento.
– Los Angeles is the largest city in California and, along with New York and Chicago, is among the top three cities for economic and cultural importance belonging to the United States of America.
– San Diego is located in Southern California along the coast of the Pacific Ocean and is a major tourist destination thanks to the mild climate in winter and long beaches.
– San Francisco is famous for being a cosmopolitan city, animated by an exceptional cultural vitality and with an architectural variety used for buildings that combines the classic Victorian to modern architecture.
– San José is the capital of the County of Santa Clara, located about seventy miles from San Francisco, and is part of the San Francisco Bay that is one of the largest urban areas in the US.
– Sacramento is the capital of the state of California and is situated at the confluence of the Sacramento River and the American River, has a port connected through a channel to the Suisun Bay. The Sacramento International Airport is an airport that handles flights to the rest of the US and Mexico.